1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 white cake mix
Egg whites, oil and water for cake mix
Zest of one lemon
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
Juice of one lemon (about 1/4 cup)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
To make the crumb topping, combine sugar, melted butter, flour and salt in a small bowl and stir with a fork until combined and crumbly. Set aside.
To make the cake, prepare batter per manufacturer’s instructions. Stir in lemon zest. Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch springform pan. Crumble crumb topping evenly over cake batter. Bake 35-45 minutes or until cooked through. Cool completely then slice in half horizontally.
To make the lemon cream filling, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl and mix until well combined and smooth. In a separate bowl beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until well combined.
Spread cream cheese mixture over bottom half of cake then top with remaining half of cake. Dust top of cake liberally with powdered sugar. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Refrigerate in an air-tight container to store.
Makes 12-14 servings.
- You can use a yellow or even lemon cake mix if you prefer. I’ve just always liked the way the white cake looks and it doesn’t have as much added artificial flavor that would compete with the real lemon flavor.
- If your lemon yields less than 3 tablespoons of juice, add a little water to reach a total of 3-4 tablespoons liquid.
- If your cream filling is too thin, refrigerate until firmer but not set.
- You can substitute cool whip for the real whipped cream if you prefer. I’d think about 2-3 cups would work.
- If you don't have a springform pan, just use two 9-inch cake pans, dividing the batter evenly between the two. Top one with the crumb topping then bake per manufacturer's instructions for two 9-inch pans.
Read more at http://www.southyourmouth.com/2016/06/lemon-crumble-cream-cake.html#tt6V2MvByk559C3l.99