Borrowed and Shareing
Mini Apple Pies
What you’ll need for the pie crust:
· ½ cup all-purpose flour
· ½ cup whole wheat flour
· ½ cup corn starch
· 1tbsp sugar
· 3.5 ounces of butter, cold
· 1 egg
· ¼ tsp salt
· ¼ tsp baking powder
· parchment paper
What you’ll need for the apple filling:
· 1 tbsp. sugar
· ½ tbsp. all-purpose flour
· ¼ tsp. powdered cinnamon
How to make it:
1. Combine all dry ingredients for the pie crust in a bowl.
2. Add the butter and mix together with fingers until you have a crumbled texture. Add the egg and mix well until it all comes together as a ball.
3. Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper until ¼” thick. Place sheet of dough on a cutting board in fridge while working on apples.
4. Wash apples and cut off the tops of each one. With a sharp knife and small spoon, carve out the apples to create bowls (add a few drops of lemon juice if desired to keep from browning). Put apple pulp into a bowl.
5. Mix in all the ingredients for the apple filling with bowl of apple pulp. Evenly distribute the apple filling back into the apple bowls.
6. Remove dough from the fridge, cut out shapes with a mini cookie cutter, and place shapes on top of apple bowls. Do not try to mold the dough—the heat will take care of that!
7. Bake at 370° F in a baking pan lined with parchment paper until they are tender and the dough is lightly golden, which will be about 40 minutes.
8. Serve warm or cool.