Piniy

Friday, December 12, 2014

: Bacon Cheddar 7-Up Biscuits






Borrower and shared from
Karly Campbell is a homeschooling mother of two, married to her high school sweetheart and living the dream working from home in her pajamas. Her blog, Buns In My Oven, is full of approachable recipes that even the kids will eat

Photograph by Karly Campbell
Occasionally when someone has a tummy ache in our house, I head to the store and pick up some 7-Up or Sprite. It just settles those little tummies so quickly.
Of course, we’re not big soda drinkers around here, so I always have some left over and since I hate to waste it, I turn to the next morning’s breakfast.
I know, you’re thinking that soda for breakfast sounds a little nuts, but wait! Have you heard of the wondrous 7-Up Biscuits? They’re the most soft and tender biscuits I’ve ever made and I’ve made a lot of dang biscuits in my life!
The dough, while very soft, is pretty easy to work with. I’ve never had a bad batch, and rumor has it, these taste a lot like the biscuits you get from KFC. I don’t know about you, but we love KFC’s biscuits!
I like to doctor my biscuits up a bit with some shredded cheddar and crispy bacon. If a plain biscuit with butter is good, a biscuit topped with cheese and bacon can only be better, right? That’s how my mind works anyway!

Photograph by Karly Campbell
RECIPE: Bacon Cheddar 7-Up Biscuits
yield: 8-10 biscuits
Ingredients:
● 2 cups baking mix, such as Bisquick
● ½ cup sour cream
● ½ cup 7-Up or other lemon lime flavored clear soda
● ¼ cup melted butter
● ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
● 6 slices bacon
● 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Instructions:
1. Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Add the butter to a large, deep cast iron skillet or cake pan and place in the oven to melt. Do not let the butter burn.
3. While the oven is heating, place a medium skillet over medium heat. Chop the bacon into bite sized pieces and fry until crisp. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
4. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to stir together the baking mix and sour cream until the mix is fully incorporated with the sour cream.
5. Use a wooden spoon to stir the soda into the mixture. The dough will be very soft and wet.
6. Sprinkle extra baking mix or flour over a clean work surface and turn the dough out. Pat into a 1 inch thick circle.
7. Use a biscuit cutter or clean glass to cut the biscuits.
8. Carefully transfer the biscuits to the prepared pan with the melted butter.
9. Sprinkle with the cheese and bacon.
10. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
11. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
12. Serve immediately.

No comments: